Sunday, June 7, 2009

Highland Games.....

Saturday, I got to do something I've never done before........The Bellingham Highland Games ... what are the Highland Games you ask...... Well..... besides the really good-looking men in kilts.... and beautiful women in traditional dresses and absolutely regal competition outfits on the young kids dancing ........
It's great vendors, beer gardens, great food and good friends....

Young and old gather together to celebrate and honor their Scottish/Celtic heritage by keeping the the dance, sport, food, costuming and camaraderie alive.

I was able to attend with my good friend Heidi and my mom Vicki who is visiting this week- what fun!!!!!
You get a little bit of everything and everybody at a festival like this....

This guy- just happens to combine two of my favorite things.... a man on a Harley- and a man in kilt!

I'll be darned if I can remember what this thing is call that they are throwing... just remember it was 56 lbs! (Straight up, over their heads and hopefully over the bar....)

Great food and fun at the beer garden where this group of men from the Guard were gracious enough to pose for me.... of course they did throw a surprise in there!

Momma gets in on the act with the great guys from the Guard...
Karlene and brother- have a little pull of the flask-
The pipe & drum bands made magic sounds and the colors of all the tartans danced and swirled like a rainbow.

Jared- he's a handsome lad...

The uniforms and period style clothing are amazing!
I loved watching the athletes- some serious strength & skill here....
And then you have such sweet delicate little flowers like this sweet little girl...



Look at those kilts fly- these little bitty girls were dancing up a storm!
Rob did a fine job piping for the dancers.... and let's face it... he's easy on the eyes.....

No comments: