Sunday, February 22, 2009

Tonight's menu....

Tonight- we will be having my "famous" (according to my children anyway) spaghetti!!!! We start with browning the meat- in this case today- I used all Italian sausage, and add some rough chopped red onions and about a quarter cup of sugar- yes, I said sugar- with the onions- helps them to caramelize so nicely..... (and when I let you in on the fact that I also ad a smidge of nutmeg and celery salt you'll really think I've cracked... but believe- me- it works!)
and 5 or 6 cloves of garlic... I like a rough chop on that as well.

After those ingredients have sauteed along with a hand full of herbs and spices... I add some wine-(I'm not picky here- sometimes it's red- sometimes it's white.... and sometimes... it's just a good excuse to open a bottle... but that's another story....) to deglaze all that browned goodness from the bottom of the pan. Along with with some worchestishire- makes a lovely little boquet under the sauce.

Next comes the black olives- and while some people actually try to wrestle these little suckers.... I'm just not that patient... so I open, drain and pour into my hand- give a quick crush- and be done with them!

Key words here... Sun Dried Tomatos.... they add so much depth to your sauce's flavor profile....try them- you'll love them!
And last but not least lets add that tomato sauce... either 3 jars of mom's home canned tomatos (God Bless her for doing them every year and sharing with us kids- cause there's just nothing like 'em!) or a #10 can of sauce/puree from Costco will certainly work.

Now that everybody is in the pool- you let it all bubbly gently and meld together.

Boil up some pasta- top with sauce....

And a quick, rough chop of fresh Basil to top, and glass of your favorite red wine.... that my friends is goodness! Don't you wish you had smell-o-vision?????



No comments: